Joint Venture with T. Averill Architects, LLC
Client: Annapolis/Anne Arundel County Conference & Visitors Bureau
Gipe Associates, Inc. -mechanical/electrical/plumbing
The Watkins Partnership, Inc.- structural engineering
Contractor: Tuckman-Barbee Construction Co., Inc.
The circa 1760 house and the 1970’s era addition behind it houses Bureau staff and a Visitors Center that welcomes over 175,000 guests a year. In a joint-venture partnership, Symmetry First and Terry Averill designed an expansion and renovation. The project included a 1,400 square foot addition, the rearrangement of interior space to separate the Visitors Center use from the administrative office use, and upgrades of all facility systems and interior finishes.
Approvals for the addition and renovations were secured from the Historic Preservation Commission of the City of Annapolis and the Maryland Historic Trust.
The renovation of the Visitors Center included re-paving the alley from West Street to the Gott’s surface parking lot and established the primacy of the alley entrance to the Center with lighting, an entrance canopy and accessible steps and a ramp. Following on this work, the City of Annapolis completed a complete re-construction of the Gott’s surface parking lot. This vastly improved the approach to the Center from Northwest Street and Gott’s Parking Garage. It also allows tour buses to board passengers well away from the busy street.