Owner / Client: Community Colleges of Baltimore County
Description: The central portion of the Hilton Mansion was originally constructed between 1828 and1835. In a major renovation that occurred between 1917 and 1919, wings, with gabled slate roofs, were added to the east and west sides of the mansion, and porticos, with flat-lock seamed copper roofing, to both the north and south elevations. During that renovation, the roof over the central portion of the mansion was raised from a gabled profile to the gambrelled profile evident today. Original construction drawings, dated July 28, 1917, by Edward L. Palmer, Architect, indicate the general scope of work. The existing green slate roof is believed to date back to this renovation. Therefore, the age of the slate roof is approximately 85 years.
An exterior renovation occurred in the mid-1980s, which included limited replacement of slates and metal flashings, and lining of the built-in gutters with EPDM. Construction drawings, dated April 2, 1984, National Historic Register and is listed with the Maryland Historic Trust. The mansion was subject to an easement regarding renovation/restoration work. Maryland Historic Trust approval of proposed work was required.
The deteriorated copper flashing and flatlock seam roofs also were replaced.